Friday, September 2, 2011

Gummy what?

One day, as I was happily chewing on a gummy bear, a thought suddenly appeared in my mind. What are gummy bears made of? With this in mind, I decided to do some research on google later that afternoon.

I discover that the traditional Gummi Bear is made from sugar, glucose syrup, starch, flavouring, food coloring, citric acid, and gelatin.

Gummi bears made with either cow or pig gelatine are not suitable for vegetarians and do not conform to kashrut or halal dietary laws. This gelatin is produced by boiling down pig or cow bones

Large sour bears are larger and flatter than Gummi Bears, have a softer texture, and include fumaric acid or other acid ingredients to produce a sour flavor. Some manufacturers produce sour bears with a different texture, based on starch instead of gelatin. Typically, starch produces a shorter (cleaner bite, less chewy) texture than gelatin.

After I did this research I realised that one of my most fravourite food was actually made with such a creepy process. I don't think i will be eating gummy bears for the next... 3 days?

No comments:

Post a Comment